Prompt:
The following poem is by the sixteenth-century English poet George Gascoigne. Read the poem carefully. Then write an essay in which you analyze how the complex attitude of the speaker is developed through such devices as form, diction, and imagery.
Original Essay:
English poet George Gascoigne develops a complex attitude in this poem through the use of diction and imagery.
Gascoigne develops a complex attitude when he uses sixteenth-century diction. Words like 'ticed, alof, feedeth, etc. These words employ a certain complexity because they are not normal day-to-day words. These words were used in the past. So by using these words Gascoigne establishes a certain attitude. A attitude that represents to sixteenth century people with the sixteenth century words. And that adds that complexity of diction.
Gascoigne further develops his complex attitude through the use of imagery. He uses imagery when he talks about, "The mouse which once hath broken out of trap" and also when he says, "The scorched fly which once hath 'scaped the flame." Both of these "images" are written in such a way that the reader is able to hear the complex attitude of the speaker. The attitude expressed is of deep thought, of how desire leads to grievance. When the mouse breaks out of the trap he is still careful when he sees a reward because he knows he could get trapped again. Also when the fly escapes the flame he knows better next time, to not go near the flame. This shows the complexity the author is conveying, desire leads to grievance and people learn from that grievance. Leading them to carefully examine that desire before going for that desire again.
Thus, we have developed the understanding of the authors complex attitude through the authors use of diction and imagery. The diction conveys a connection to sixteenth-century people and the imagery conveys the message of how desire leads to grievance which in turn teaches us the lesson of what desires are worth it.
Reflection:
Description- I was asked to analyze how the complex attitude of the speaker is developed through such devices as form, diction, and imagery. The complex attitude of the speaker is being examined.
Scores- I would give myself a 4 because my essay responds to the assigned task. My analysis is not that detailed and in depth but my analysis does give some examples to back it up. I use specific lines from the essay instead of paraphrasing. But I should have developed my ideas more. Also a stronger thesis like a three-sentence thesis would have also helped the essay.
My teacher gave me a 3 because she also thought that my analysis should have been developed more and focused more on the complexity. But she also said my thesis did mention about the complexity but I didn’t discuss it later on in the essay.
Interpretation- The scores are different but similar. I also scored my essay in the lower half essays and my teacher did too but my teacher thought I completely ignored the complexity of the speaker's attitude which I now agree with because I did as she said only talk about the complexity in the thesis and not in the essay. The most useful or important thing about this task was it helped me gain experience in analyzing a writer's complex attitude through the use of form, diction, and imagery. It can be explained with theory by the way it logically follows the poem and interprets the words of the poem. This was similar to the essays we wrote in AP Comp because we write timed essays in that class too.
Outcome- I learned from this how to analyze the attitude of a writer through their use of form, diction, imagery. I can improve my performance on future tasks by analyzing the poem in depth more so I can really understand the complexities the writer put into the poem. I can also use techniques I learned from doing the shift charts and the three-sentence thesis.
No comments:
Post a Comment